Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:36:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  seasonal sidewalks
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: seasonal sidewalks  ( 25540 )
sdogallen
: 51

« : January 26, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Fairfax doesn't keep the sidewalks in town maintained during the winter months? Right now the sidewalk on Hunt St. is a snowmobile trail and if I remember right that beautiful new bridge  in the center of town has walkways on both sides that are snowbanks right now. It also seems very dangerous to have schoolchildren walking IN Hunt St. at the busy times of the day trying to get to and from school.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : January 26, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »

Do the kids walk when the weather is like this?  I have been coming home from work before and the buses are stopping on Main St. to drop kids off.  I am not sure if this is normal or not.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
trussell
: 870

« #2 : January 26, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »

I noticed kids walking down Hunt st. this morning... And the answer is that it "costs too much to maintain the sidewalks in the winter".

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #3 : January 26, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »

I have been griping about this for years, and each year, when the snow falls, the kids are forced to walk in the street. If the town can't keep them clean (because they don't have proper equipment, I've heard), then they should institute an ordinance requiring the home owners to keep the sidewalks clear in front of their properties. It really boggles my mind that we invest in sidewalks and walkways and yet don't think it's necessary to keep them accessible for 4 or 5 months of the year, especially when we have school children using them as a way to school each day. Is this showing that we care about our community? Come on people!
Cat

« #4 : January 27, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »

I walk to & from work even in the winter & it is a pain.
Travis
: 141

« #5 : January 27, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »

I bring my kids to school every morning, and there are always at least a few kids walking to school. The school rarely closes for weather, so it makes it that much more dangerous having the kids walk in the road. There have been several mornings just this winter that even the main roads weren't in good condition but there are still kids walking in the roads on their way to school. This is an accident, more likely a tragedy, waiting to happen.
sdogallen
: 51

« #6 : January 29, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

Seems like it would cost less to buy the equipment and pay someone than be sued by someone that got hit by a car or truck.
slpott
: 457

« #7 : January 29, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »

Why can't the people that live there shovel the sidewalk. That seems like a no brainer to me. If there is an elderly couple that can't do it why not offer to do it for them. People try to complicate the simplest things. Shovel the sidewalk. It is the right thing to do.
roadkill
: 80

« #8 : January 30, 2011, 07:12:52 AM »

If you cant afford to maintain something Dont build it
cedarman
: 370

« #9 : January 30, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »

unshoveled sidewalks may be frustrating to some in the winter, but I for one am glad the town isn't like some other towns/cities which have passed ordinances making it mandatory to shovel sidewalks which cross your property.

I agree with roadkill.  It starts with shoveling the sidewalk, then what.  Do home owners have  to replace broken concrete when that goes bad, will they eventually have to shovel the road in front of their houses too?
slpott
: 457

« #10 : January 31, 2011, 06:17:32 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong but............................I would assume the sidewalks were a grant. Town improvements. Why not do it. If we don't some other town will. I think our first concern could be "why are there government grants for sidewalks" if we are going broke. If we take pride in our town and help make it easier on others, we would shovel the sidewalks and think nothing of it. The only time you need ordinances is when people wont do what is necessary and right for the people. The kids need the sidewalks cleared in the winter. Clear the sidewalks. Politics and taxes do not have to be attached to everything we do. Just my opinion. For heaven sake, we could have a hot coco street party. Maybe this would be a fun community service.
logical
: 141

« #11 : January 31, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »

Sounds like a great project for the school kids!
cedarman
: 370

« #12 : January 31, 2011, 11:50:13 AM »

"The only time you need ordinances is when people wont do what is necessary and right for the people."

The problem is, not everyone agrees on what is "necessary and right".
Bob Ertl
: 1

« #13 : January 31, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »

Discussion about sidewalks for school children and others walking neglects to mention that the sidewalk on Hunt Street was cleared until the town plow filled it in with slush that froze and I could not blow it any longer.  An ordinance to require householders to clear sidewalks is absurd under these conditions. 
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #14 : January 31, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

Can't blame the plow for clearing the roads, this is a definite must and we are lucky to have such a great road crew.  I have to shovel the end of my driveway from the plow going by several times during a storm to not get a solid bank and I clear out my walkways as well as my father's when necessary. Just a part of living in Vermont.

I think the homeowners should be responsible for clearing out sidewalks "as best as they can, no specific regulations" and if there are elderly out there who cannot, and you are a neighor; lend a hand.  Also, High schoolers are looking for community service hours and this would be a great way to help them and the community.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: