Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:24:34 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vermont State Police vs Sheriff's
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vermont State Police vs Sheriff's  ( 13758 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 05, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »

Anyone care to respond to this comment??

Hello,

I was checking out your website--LOVE IT!

I am wondering if you have anything posted about the Select Board considering changing the policing contract with the Sheriff's office and adding State Police to the mix?   I wonder why the citizens of Fairfax aren't having a vote on this and why the board would even consider paying an agency (at an overtime rate) to cover a town they are already suppose to be protecting when no Sheriff coverage.

Have you seen any comments about all this?
Do you also post editorials?

Thank so much and it is just awesome to be able to find our little town online--thank you!

Tammy Lutz

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : January 05, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »

I did receive a post a on January 3, 2011 on this from The Selectboard:

The Vermont State Police (VSP) is the responsible Law Enforcement Agency for Fairfax, as regulated by Vermont State Statute Law.  When the Sheriff's are patrolling the town, they take on the same responsibility and will provide the same level of qualified Law enforcement.  VSP will assist the Sheriff's (provide back-up) if the event arises.  VSP is provided the Franklin County Sheriff's patrol schedule for Fairfax. 

Emergency Calls:  VSP maintains 24/7, E911 dispatch Center.  The E911 call center takers will receive emergency call and will transfer them to the appropriate agencies i.e. VSP, Sheriff's, Fire Dept. and/or Rescue Squad. 

Sheriff's do not maintain a 24/7 telephone call center.  People should not call the Franklin County Sheriff's directly.  The VSP call taker will transfer all calls to the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency who is responsible at that given time. 

Non Emergency Calls:  VSP should be called at 524-5993.  24/7 coverage.

Fairfax Selectboard

Stacy Wells, Selectboard Assistant
On behalf of the Selectboard
Town of Fairfax
PO Box 27
Fairfax, Vermont 05454
802-849-6111
fairfaxselectboard@yahoo.com

Henry Raymond
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #2 : January 05, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »

Oh Boy!! I bet there will be some replies on this topic.

There are a lot of things to look at in coverage from the State Police and the Sheriffs Department.  The State Troopers cover our town for 128 hours a week right now while the Sheriffs only covers 40 hours. How often do you really see a state trooper driving through town or parked running radar around here? It's nothing against the troopers mind you, they are under staffed and they are very busy.  When the Sheriffs Department is covering it is a guaranteed 40 hours of coverage per week and their Deputy is in Fairfax for a whole 40 hours.  So really i guess it comes down to how much police presence you really want in town?  Troopers are great at what they do but really just aren't going to give you even close to what the Sheriffs Department can for overall presence in town.
« : January 05, 2011, 04:37:36 PM FXDHS »

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
DrewCrash
: 104

« #3 : January 05, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »

I see more troopers in town then I do the sheriff. And I would certainly like to see a lot less radar traps and a lot more patrolling by the Sheriff. With that, I still think the Sheriff's is the best option, but it still needs to improve its patrols. Last week I watched the Sheriff for 40 minutes sit at the car wash. That's a lot patrol time for some of our neighborhoods. Poor Sheriff. We need to start a thread about how we never talk about speeding in Fairfax. That should make the Sheriff feel better.
monte198
: 79

« #4 : January 05, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »

40 minutes of radar patrol doesn't seem to be overwhelming.  I can remember a Post a while ago about the speed limit of main st changing.  What happened is "squeaky wheels got oiled".  Individuals complained about speeding in the area as well as on fletcher rd and therefore that is where traffic enforcement was set up.  I know that other area have been complained about as well but again i according to Vermont statue 23 many of the back roads are illegal posted.  Speed limit signs are not properly placed.

I have seen sheriff's cruisers on just about every road in fairfax.  You have to remember that they work both night and day.  Just because you didn't see a cruiser doesn't mean that they weren't they.  I do agree with Tammy.  Why would you consider paying overtime pay for a state trooper to patrol?

The sheriff's office does have a 24/7 dispatch center.  But calling the sheriff's office directly can waste valuable time.  As the sheriff's office only covers 40 hr a week all over calls go to the state police.  I do believe that a complaintant can request a sheriff's unit to take their complaint when they are on duty.
trussell
: 870

« #5 : January 05, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

I don't think the original post said anything about VSP using overtime manpower to patrol- in fact, I don't think it said anything about costing the town for VSP's services at all.  The way I read it, it was clarifying the fact that the Town of Fairfax contracts with the Franklin County Sheriff to patrol for 40 hours a week.  Anything outside of that 40-hour timeframe is, by default (and mandated by State Statute), covered by the State Police and consequently funded by their state-issued budget.  It doesn't mean that VSP is responsible for physically being in Fairfax for 128 hours a week, but meerly that they are responsible to respond to issues in Fairfax during that timeframe. (As their resources allow, I might add).  It's unfortunate that we don't have more coverage since crime appears to be increasing, but it's the same story of wanting something without having to pay for it.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #6 : January 06, 2011, 06:45:18 AM »

Click here for a little trip down Memory Lane:
http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=170.msg239;topicseen#msg239

It's budget time and the selectboard should be considering all contracts,
from the Sheriff to the mowing of the Recreational Park.
(that's what we don't pay them for).
Town Meeting is less than two months away.

Each Town Meeting Day, the registered voters of Fairfax vote on the Sheriff's contract.
Last year we voted yes to 40 hours coverage per week for about $81K.

Thank you to the Fairfax Selectboard for crunching all those numbers for the budget.
Thank you to the Franklin County Sheriff's Department for helping keep us safe.

Thanks also to the Vermont State Police, who could give more dedicated coverage by supplying troopers
on their own time (overtime).

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Travis
: 141

« #7 : January 06, 2011, 07:12:02 AM »

Other than the $81K contract, do we pay anything else to the Franklin County Sheriff's office? Meaning, is there a set fee that we pay them for being a part of Franklin County? Also, does every town in Franklin County pay for service in the same way, or do some towns get "free" coverage?
Chris Santee

« #8 : January 06, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »

Great questions, Travis. I'll try to get some answers today.

Sheriff Norris is scheduled to be at the Fairfax Selectboard meeting on February 7th at 7:45pm.
I spoke with him yesterday and expect him to have some numbers.
I'll get a story in the Fairfax News on January 28th.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Stand Alone Defense

« #9 : January 06, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

All Patrols in Franklin county done by the FCSO are done through Contracts as are all traffic control duties and prisoner transports.  As far as what every town pays compared to us that I do not know.  I know that Richford,Enosburg and maybe St. Albans town use to have 56 hour a week contracts for 7 days a week coverage. Sheldon, Highgate, Swanton, and Fairfax all have smaller contracts, keep in mind this info is 3 years old so Chris's info will be more reliable but it gives you an idea of how it works.   

Stand Alone Defense

« #10 : January 06, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »

It's unfortunate that we don't have more coverage since crime appears to be increasing, but it's the same story of wanting something without having to pay for it.

I agree Trevor!! I don't understand people that say we don't need the 40 hours that the Sheriffs Department provides to be honnest I wish we had more coverage!! Another perk you we get from the Sheriffs department is a lot of the guys are local.... maybe not to Fairfax but at least the Franklin county area where State Troopers come from all over the state.  When working in Law Enforcement it really gives you an upper hand if you know the area well.   

mirjo
: 785

« #11 : January 10, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but I don't know if this question really got answered:

I wonder why the citizens of Fairfax aren't having a vote on this and why the board would even consider paying an agency (at an overtime rate) to cover a town they are already suppose to be protecting when no Sheriff coverage.

This has been confusing to me also, so to clarify, I will ask this:

Are the 128 hours mandated by the state? They're not covered as they should be, because there aren't enough troopers? So, we need to pay VSP OT for coverage, because otherwise it's not guaranteed?

Maybe it's me, but it sounds ridiculous.

I don't have ready answers, but Fairfax clearly has a burglary issue that needs to be addressed. It is likely drug related and due to our close proximity to St. Albans, where drug problems are well known.

It all comes down to cost--everything does. Maybe the town needs to come up with clear-cut expectations as far as what it wants from  law enforcement? Or revisit the town constable training idea? Regardless, there needs to be more input than from just a few people on this forum. That's the biggest hurdle--generating interest and participation beyond complaining! ;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Chris Santee

« #12 : January 13, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

from the Fairfax Selectboard Minutes January 3, 2011:
3. Vermont State Police: Peter handed out a comparison between the VSP and the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department for coverage and cost. The pros and cons of both were discussed. We will schedule Sheriff Norris on the agenda to come in and talk with the Board. The sheriff’s contract is up for renewal in March.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #13 : February 07, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »

Sheriff Norris will be at the Fairfax Selectboard Meeting tonight at 7:45pm.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: