Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:06:57 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA Fire Anniversary Coming Up-January 17, 2011
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA Fire Anniversary Coming Up-January 17, 2011  ( 3871 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : January 03, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »

On a cold Friday night, January 17th, 1941, there was an explosion heard all over town. A BFA boys basketball game, being played at the old Grange Hall on Main Hill ended abruptly. Bellows Free Academy was fully engulfed in flames.
That night easily ranks in the top 5 historical moments for the town of Fairfax.
On Monday night January 17, 2011 at 7pm, we will gather in the Old Gym at BFA, and mark the 70th Anniversary of that fire.
I am currently working on putting together a visual presentation, and am looking for people who were there that night and can come and share stories of being there that fateful night. We will talk a bit about the history of the school in general, and the aftermath of the fire.
Everyone is welcome to come. If you know of someone who was there that night, please invite them to attend.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : January 03, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »

It would be really cool if someone could video record the event....and the stories...
I'd do it if I wasn't so far away...and buried under tons of snow...trapped in winter's icy embrace...  (You get the picture!)
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : January 03, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »

Mike   You may have Joyce McCuin on your list for reference purposes , but if not , I'm sure someone from Herb Bellows family was at the game,  perhaps even Joyce and Barbara King ( can't remember Barb's maiden name ) and she could give you some good info. I don't know if Doc Comi from St. Albans was coaching the Girls team at the time, or he came along later , but Joyce was one of the better athletes in town at that time and involved in BFA activities.  Good luck with your gathering on that special night.
sweetpeakt
: 43

« #3 : January 04, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »

I know my Grandpa Art Webb would love to share a story or 2 about the fire.  He wasn't in school at the time but was the last graduating class in the old school.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: