Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:48:32 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Political "Lie of the Year"
« previous next »
: [1]
: Political "Lie of the Year"  ( 6544 )
kevin
: 64

« : December 18, 2010, 02:42:24 AM »

I thought this might generate some interesting discussion in this thread.  Seems like the Republicans have their catchphrases memorized.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/dec/16/lie-year-government-takeover-health-care/

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #1 : December 21, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »

I noticed that article too.  It reminds me of a quote from a diabolic master of propaganda from last century: 

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie."

The national GOP seems quite adept at this tactic.  I wonder how many people might recognize this quote without looking it up?
« : December 21, 2010, 03:12:11 PM GamingWeasel »

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Thor

« #2 : December 21, 2010, 12:41:01 PM »

Hey Weasel,

That quote.... didn't it come from Al Gore; something about Global Warming!! You people on the left, you guys are SO funny!! You absolutely slay me!!!
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : December 21, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »

Thor,
It actually came from a German many years ago,
Al Gore just practiced it.

Kevin & Weasel, I'm going to get back with you after Christmas.

Merry Christmas to All !!!

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #4 : December 21, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »

Thor it was not Al Gore, but would have been funny if it was him because it does define global warming that's for sure.

It was Joseph Goebels who said it he was a German politician Hitler’s right hand man for spreading propaganda.  

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
GamingWeasel

« #5 : December 21, 2010, 03:10:12 PM »

I think Thor was being rhetorical/satirical, and he didnt really think it was from Al Gore.  Easy to mis-judge peoples' statements on the net though.  No body language or tone of voice to interpret things.

Another good propaganda tactic is if an opinion cant be defended with facts or logic, then change the subject. ;)  Anybody actually have a comment about the OP?
« : December 21, 2010, 03:19:30 PM GamingWeasel »

Thor

« #6 : December 21, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »

Weasel, you are correct. It was typed with "tongue in cheek". It was actually Hitler who thought of the concept. Goebbels followed up later with his own "version". My only point on it is that the GOP doesn't own the rights to it unilaterally. It seems to be shared / common ground for both parties.
GamingWeasel

« #7 : December 21, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »

Any successful politician is going to be a liar to some extent, whether they are big lies or little white ones.  Sadly, this is how our political system works...or doesnt work, to be more exact.
« : December 21, 2010, 03:36:13 PM GamingWeasel »

kevin
: 64

« #8 : December 23, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »

All the lies in politics, especially in political races, seem to be the norm.  Is this what happens in a world of 24/7 news coverage where the sound bite reigns?  I wish more politicians could be like these two:
http://www.theday.com/article/20101028/NWS01/310289299/1017

If only those we elect could remember that their job is to represent us, and not themselves or the lobbyists who give them money, maybe we would be better off.

I realize that these are generalizations but I think this applies to the national political scene.  Local politics are a different matter.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
: [1]  
« previous next »
: