Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:32:12 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  An Old Fairfax Landmark Is No More
« previous next »
: [1]
: An Old Fairfax Landmark Is No More  ( 6991 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 27, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »

The Old Grange Hall, once the center of many happy festivities such as Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, Grange Meetings, Card Parties, Wedding Receptions, Basketball Games and even movies is being torn down as of yesterday and will be replaced with a single family dwelling.  I spoke with one of the workers there yesterday and he told me that even thought the building did not look very solid, it did not indeed come down that easily.  A number of people stopped to tell him about a specific event they had attended there.  Of course I had to tell him that I remember dropping my wife off there for what I think was a baby shower for our oldest daughter back in 1961, plus I also remember going to several 25th wedding anniversary parties there.

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : October 27, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »

now if they could do something about that blue house by you
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : October 28, 2010, 08:03:26 AM »

When I went by last night, I noticed that it looked like they had just about everything left of the Old Grange Hall in the dumpster.  I didn't have my camera with me, but plan to go down to the village later on and will take another photo.  After many years, it must seem strange for Bob & Betty to be able to look out their window and look down Main Hill.

Henry Raymond
msm
: 211

« #3 : October 29, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »

Henrey,

Was there anything worth salvaging ? For example, I think the orginal roof was slate... covered by some form of metal --- I would think someone could have used those ?

Mike
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : October 29, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »

I noticed they saved one big long beam and put it out near the back of the lot.  Looks like they may have been salvaging the flat stones that were in the wall.  I did not get down there in time to see what the roof was like.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : October 30, 2010, 01:16:45 AM »

Loosing a memory filled building is sad.

But, progress must progress, so they say.
David Shea
: 471

« #6 : October 30, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »

MSN,

A lot of materials were salvaged from the building.  Dave Knox owner of Mason Brother's Salvage spent over two weeks inside the building sorting through the contents.  He was able to save some of the materials inside which included a large amount of books.  He had planned on removing the flooring, but I am not sure if he did or not.  The floor had such a gross amount of material on it that it may have been impossible to remove it.

Dave actually gave me 3 BFA yearbooks from the 1970's that were inside, I in turn have donated them to the Fairfax Historical Society.

He was trying to line up a contractor to take off the slate roof, but this must have fallen through.

The new owner of the property is Gabe Handy.  He is a very smart business man and is fully aware of the value in a piece of property, including salvage materials.

Dave
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #7 : October 30, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

Reclaimed material is a big deal now.
People pay bucks for that.

I call it junk,,, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dave,
Was that building abated that you know of?

David Shea
: 471

« #8 : October 31, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »

Mike,

I was told by the owner that a local contractor had tested the building and that a small amount of material needed to be removed.  I didn't see the actual report.

Dave
: [1]  
« previous next »
: