Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:14:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Community Trail Done After 4-Year Journey By Lisa M. Boucher
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Community Trail Done After 4-Year Journey By Lisa M. Boucher  ( 9340 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 15, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »

(The following article appeared in the October 15, 2010 Issue Of The St. Albans Messenger)

Fairfax Community Trail done after 4-year journey
Volunteers make 1.5-mile path a reality
By LISA M. BOUCHER
Messenger Correspondent
FAIRFAX—On   October 3, the final wood chips were spread on the remaining section of the Community Trail here, thus signaling the completion of a four-year long volunteer effort molding a stretch of wooded land into a usable labyrinth of connected pathways, for students and community members alike.

The idea began with the parents of students in Bellows Free Academy (BFA) Cross Country and Nordic Skiing, said BFA teacher and coach, Fred Griffin, so the teams would have trails on which to practice and compete. The concept soon morphed into something of lasting benefit for the community at large, as well.

The trail system is approximately 1.5 miles and is 12 feet wide to accommodate winter grooming. Approximately one-third is on land owned by BFA and two thirds is owned by private landowner, Gabe Handy who owns the land behind the school. The trails can be accessed from the baseball field or from the common land in Handy's subdivision off Rich Street.

The trails, completed in three separate sections, took shape logistically and physically by the help of Doug Stewart, Dave Stanley, and Tom Snyder, but primarily by the physical labor of septuagenarian, Doug Stewart who spent many mornings clearing trees from the mapped out area in preparation for the work that followed. On Wednesdays he had the help of Dave Stanley.
Stewart and Stanley were instrumental in the planning, implementing, organizing the volunteer effort that ensued, physically clearing the trails of the trees, and cutting and splitting the hardwood for a raffle. They managed the effort with a precision focus.

"Doug Stewart has dedicated at least two full years of his life to this project and Dave Stanley would not let us quit until it was done and done right," said Griffin. "Without those two guys, this project would never have gotten done and not at this level."

According to Griffin, it took a full year to complete the permitting process, which included Act 250 and two archeological test sites of the rivers and streams that wend their way through the trail system.

The first phase of the project was entirely on school grounds, known as section I. It took about a year to complete. A bevy of volunteers cut lumber, skidded logs, piled brush, cut and split firewood, chipped the softwood, spread the chips, cut the root systems of small trees, and built bridges.

They held a raffle for firewood to help pay for excavating and grading expenses, which were provided at cost, by Matt Gillilan Excavation. There were also donations from Northwestern Medical Center and Ben and Jerry's. Harrison Concrete provided 18, 1,800-pound concrete blocks that were used for the base of six of the eight bridges, built by Duane Leach.

The town donated I-beams it had stored from the old iron bridge that was built over the Lamoille River on Route 104, after the 1927 flood and was replaced sometime in the 1980's. Mark Rainville of Rainville's Autobody assisted in transporting the beams from the town garage to the, trail site.

"We've had waves of workers for each section," said Griffin. "Cutters, skidders, brush pilers, chippers, and chip spreaders, times three."

Keith White of Westford provided a tractor for skidding logs and moving the wood chipper. Got That Rental offered a deal on the wood chipper.

"Fred gets his teams out here and the kids [and others] work hard at getting the chips spread on the trails," said Stanley, pointing to several piles of wood chips in need of attention. "We're almost finished with Section III, all that's left is the wood chips."

The pair inspects the drainage of the trail and is satisfied with the fact that despite heavy rains, the wood chips are keeping the mud at bay and the barely perceptible ditches are working, directing water away from the path.

Stewart proudly shows off the trail system as though himself the landowner, but modestly denies any true responsibility to making it a reality—instead humbly deflects the homage to others.

"I will show you a beautiful spot," said Stewart, walking along the trail discussing the virtues of each of the eight bridges, with the pride of an architect. "That's section three over there, the last section to be completed and that's one of the I-beam bridges, there are two of them. Boy, those are beautiful bridges; Duane sure has done a nice job building them."

Stewart points at the way the late afternoon sun streaks through a couple of very large pines that are possibly 75 to 100 years old by his estimation, privately pleased that he has helped to create something of lasting value for the people of Fairfax for generations to come.

A Friends of the Trail committee is being created to handle signage, maintenance, and use of the trail by walkers, school nature activities, and BFA Nordic and running events.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : October 16, 2010, 05:46:46 AM »

I have walked this trail since its beginnings, and it is a delightful place to walk; we should  all be  both delighted and thankful  with this addition to the community's recreational opportunities. 
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : October 16, 2010, 07:32:47 AM »

Lisa sent me the following two photos that she took, but that did not appear in the Messenger Article - Thanks Lisa

A young boy compares himself to one of the big pine trees on the trail

Dave Stanley & Doug Stewart on a bridge in Section III

Henry Raymond
msm
: 211

« #3 : October 16, 2010, 07:56:57 AM »

Wow --- What is an AWESOME Commmunity Acitivity !  Very impressive work by all involved !   

Mike M
Rev. Elizabeth

« #4 : October 16, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »

These two gentlemen are the masterminds behind it all.  If anyone saw the work Doug did, and the tidiness with which he did it, you would be overwhelmed with gratitude and admiration.  I have never seen wood stacked so neatly; and then, there are the benches he made here and there. And then there is his persistence.  Remarkable work, by a remarkable man, and this is not to downplay the very hard work that Dave and Duane and the others put into this project.  I think he inspired everyone else to keep on working....
cedarman
: 370

« #5 : October 19, 2010, 08:17:44 AM »

Kudos to all for the fortitude, time and dedication to this great community project.

I think the following statement from the article may indicate something is wrong with our State's permitting process:

". . . it took a full year to complete the permitting process . . . "
Shadylane08
: 125

« #6 : October 19, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »

No doubt the permitting process can be extremely frusturating, but I'm glad they stuck with it!

Sounds like a great trail I'll have to go for a walk down there sometime.  Last time I was on that trail was probably for soccer 6am runs 10-12 years ago!  Back then it was full of mud holes and ankle breaking roots.  Sounds much better now!
Rev. Elizabeth

« #7 : October 19, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »

it is a completely new trail, created in part, because the old one was in such bad shape.  Eventually the school will be able to hold 5 k running and ski races there.  It is a great walking adventure!
mirjo
: 785

« #8 : October 19, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »

The trail is wonderful, there was great care taken in making it so. Fabulous attention to detail! It is the little things that matter, like removing stumps and roots systems from small trees, making ditches for the water to run off and chipping all that wood and brush from the land to make a surface that wouldn't succumb to mud.  XC will surely enjoy it and both teams will have a trail system to be proud of and the bridges are not only  sturdy, but are also as Doug Stewart so eloquently put it, "beautiful."    :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Dick Brown
: 414

« #9 : October 20, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »

Good Morning, Henry    Not being fortunate enough to have seen the new trail , I have an idea of its location and an understanding of its physical makeup ( as identified from the individual postings ) and wish to add my compliments to those who have created it for the town. Lots of congratulations all around to everyone who had anything to do with developing this historic, iconic, and useful piece of Fairfax history.The accolades for Dave Stanley and Doug Stewart are well-deserved and hopefully extremely satisfying to them personally.
For those not acquainted with Doug's story and family background , it should not be forgotten that his labor in this project , while terrific in itself , is a very real reflection of the generosity and loyalty of his family for BFA and the town of Fairfax. His mother taught for years in the elementary grades at our school , his sister and her husband  " Pop " were strong activists for projects which enhanced the town and/or school , his brother, after completing his military service , became an important fixture in the growth of one of the largest farms in the area at that time ( and always had time to help others ) , and his other brother , Dick , has served education , schoolkids and townspeople for years throughout the whole state of Vermont and in fact has an award named for him, and given annually , by the VSOA. Doug's wife , Peg , has given of her time for years in both the school system and the Community Library. Their children have followed their examples and have been major contributors to their towns and schools wherever they have lived, and finally, their grandchildren are keeping the legacy going. Doug's persistence and willingness to give of his time is so typical of him and the Stewart Clan, and his efforts to " do things right " comes from his inner spirit and creed , which has been highlighted by this project. 
Fairfax , through the years , has had some remarkable families who have shaped its destiny.......this is indeed one of them .  Way to go , Fairfax !!!!
Dick Brown
: 414

« #10 : October 24, 2010, 08:23:31 AM »

Good Sunday Morning, Henry      What a weekend for Fairfax sports, as i read it in the Free Press  ( nice to see the teams are finally getting coverage ! )....Football Team comes back to win , Boys & Girls Soccer Teams do well with big victories and both Cross-Country Teams place well in the races in their division....and how about Cam Webber winning the Individual Title  ????  Wonderful !!  The can-do spirit of Fairfax personified by Doug stewart , Dave Stanley and a host of others working for the town's youths comes out again in the teams' collective efforts !!  Nice Job !!!     
: [1]  
« previous next »
: